Off We Go...

It's Moving Day!
Before
After
Packing up and prepping for the big move took way longer than I thought.  Actually, everything I ever do takes longer than I think it will.  Aaron thinks that should be my life's tagline, and engrave it on my gravestone when I die, "That took longer than I thought".  Anyway, we will miss our spot in West Lafayette!


We were shooting for a departure of 10am, but ended up rolling out of West Lafayette at 12:15pm.  The trip was supposed to take 4 hours and 20 minutes to our first stop (for a normal vehicle).  We rolled into our site at 8:15pm.  So, nearly double the time... good to know for future reference!  

But we made it over the Ohio river and into Kentucky safely!  The 6th state the Pequod has seen!  (Greg, our builder, drove it from Colorado to Indiana)
Sorry for all the blur, but my real camera was packed up.  I swear that says "Kentucky" below, lol 

We are staying at an RV park for several days, taking a breather, adjusting some stuff with the truck & house, visiting a national park, and experiencing Kentucky culture before we move on further South.

Here are some interesting facts from our first full day on the road:
- We only had to pass ONE vehicle the entire trip.
- We had 2 people honk at us while on the highway (one friendly, one hostile) lol
- We had many people look, but only one car actually pull up to us and ask us about the house.
- The kids did WAY better than I expected them to during the 8 hour trip!
- I (Crystal) towed that tiny house like a boss, even though it was my first time towing anything! :D
- It's much better to take the long route around a big city than to go through it while towing!
- Driving at night is actually less stressful than day time.

On our way I kept saying, "we're doing this".  I couldn't believe it.  It was definitely a challenge, with some "white knuckle" moments, but we pulled through.  We did it.  We were very nervous and intimidated for the first several hours on the road, but we overcame!  We made it here safely and it feels really, really good!  I have more confidence today than yesterday!  And I know it sounds silly, but I feel like I can do anything right now. :)

January 15, 2016

11 comments:

  1. So exciting!!! I was just thinking I needed to message you both the other day. Was bummed we couldn't make the graduation and house warming party in December. Hoped to see you all before you flew the coop, but till we meet again:) Absolutely LOVE Aaron's idea for your tombstone!!! Fitting�� Looking forward to the adventure updates, friend. Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. What national park are you doing? Mammoth Cave perhchance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I'm so excited, as I've never been in a cave in my life! Aaron has been spelunking, but it will be a first for the kids and me! :D

      Delete
  3. Dawayne WhittingtonJanuary 15, 2016 at 3:03 PM

    This is so awesome! I'm happy for you and your family! Keep us posted, be safe, and live this experience to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys will love Mamouth Caves! We miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys will love Mamouth Caves! We miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live and travel in a 36 foot RV. We rarely travel more than 200 miles a day when towing. It can be exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you're doing this!

    P.s. The font color on dark background is hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've noticed that in the mobile web format, but it's much better on the web version. I'll have to get that changed as I bet most people see it on their cellphones.

      Delete