Santa Fe ~ My New Fav!

We arrived in Santa Fe on Easter Sunday.  I was nauseous the entire week we stayed in Santa Fe (food poisoning and altitude sickness), and Aaron had a job interview on Wednesday (an airplane ride away), so we didn't get to do everything Santa Fe has to offer... but we did, however, find a pretty awesome playground for the kids, take the city bus to downtown for the Farmer's Market, spent some time window shopping in the Santa Fe Plaza, and we found our way to the famous Canyon Street.

The Plaza was pretty neat, and actually reminded me quite a bit of the French Quarter in New Orleans, but with a Southwestern twist.  It was much smaller than the French Quarter, but the plaza did have many similar attributes, like the city square:


Ornate decorations:


Monuments:


Musicians:


 (I think we found Carmen SanDiego playing the violin...)


Lots of beautiful brick streets & homogenous buildings, with a city mandated 3-story limit:


Gorgeous churches and culture all around:




Lots of cultural pride...


A ton of native art...


A bunch of people eating lunch on balconies...


Old-World style outdoor dining options...


Random stuff to pose with...


The one thing New Orleans lacked... DOGS!  Dogs were everywhere!  I was in heaven!


But like New Orleans, there was also a whole bunch of walking around...


and man-made and natural beauty all around...



One thing we heard about the Plaza was the Loretto Church with the "Miracles Staircase"... 



And sure enough, just like New Orleans, they had beads hanging from the trees (for different reasons, of course... but still, beads hanging on trees).


It actually cost Aaron and me $3 each to get in just to see this legendary staircase...


The original staircase had no railing, which I think would have been a fantastic sight to see, and climb (but no climbing allowed here).




It really is a remarkable piece of advanced carpentry.  To read more about it click here: http://www.lorettochapel.com/staircase.html




After all the "boring grown up stuff", we promised the kids we'd stop at this cool playground we saw while driving by.  The kids ran right into the awesome park entrance like it was calling their names:




This park was so well thought out, I was just amazed... and inspired!






This was a maze for the kids to find their way to the center...



 This was their favorite:




The next day we spent April 1st (our 10 year wedding anniversary) just relaxing at home while some unexpected snow greeted us in the morning.  It was nice to do nothing. :)

~~~~~~~

A couple days later, we decided to wait for the city bus to take us to the farmer's market, since a bus stop was just outside our RV park:


We had to teach the kids bus riding etiquette...


We finally made it to the farmer's market, and it was AMAZING!  The BEST farmer's market I have ever been to!  So many choices with lots of excellent quality food, produce and crafts!










I wanted to buy this shirt... as New Mexico is now my favorite state in the United States! :)






In warmer months, the market is expanded outside.


The locals in Santa Fe were fabulous!  Seriously, the nicest bunch of people I've met on our trip!


I ended up talking with the couple (with the dog) in the left side of this photo for quite a while.  I don't know, we just clicked.  It was one of those interactions that I'll remember.  When they found out my name was Crystal, they even gave me an actual crystal they had found in Arkansas.  Heart warmed. :)

After the fantastic Santa Fe Farmer's Market, we found a shuttle to Canyon Road.  We started at the top of the hill and worked our way down...


Interesting quote (read up)...



All the way along Canyon Road, was a very wide variety of art genres.  One of my favorite pieces below:


Also, EVERYWHERE in New Mexico, it's popular to hang dried peppers.  I really don't know why I love this so much.


There were tons of gorgeous doors and entryways, which I couldn't resist photographing...





We came across a contemporary art gallery (Shelby Fleetwood Gallery) that we all thoroughly enjoyed.  It is home to the "Rock, Paper, Scissors" statue...


Here Aaron is teaching Selah how to play...







Inside, Selah taught Simon how to play RPS:


Moving along... 


Those doorways though!  I couldn't stop myself...






Ahhh, a place to sit for a second!


Why can't my dandelions come in like this?  I love this piece!



Sorry for the super long post and excessive photos, but I think... I think Santa Fe, New Mexico may be my new favorite city (sorry New Orleans)! ;)

April 4th, 2016

1 comment:

  1. those beads are actually rosaries left for remembrance of lost loved ones

    ReplyDelete